Monday, August 24, 2009

Old, OLD School Muramasa

Foolish samurai warriors wielding magic swords.



No comic, entering fan art contests again, brb. This one is for the upcoming Wii game, Muramasa: The Demon Blade. If ya don't know about it, look it up, cuz it's a beautiful looking game. For the website's fan art dealie, rather than make a pathetic attempt to get on the level of detail of the official game artwork, I figured I go with something more stylistic. The game takes place in ancient Japan, so I tried drawing the two playable characters, Kisuke and the pretty Momohime, in the style of the figures found in those old Japanese scrolls. The catch is that those types of illustrations usually aren't too actiony, so I looked to Samurai Jack for the poses and angular style. I could be wrong, but I think I remember hearing that Samurai Jack's look was inspired greatly by those old Japanese scrolls too, so it seemed like a decent choice.

Once again, here are the original sketch and line art. I tried to do that thing were the words are in english but kinda resemble kanji. Meh.



And here's a bigger image so you can see the Photoshop filter I used to give it a srollish texture.

No comments: